We’re beginning to get ready to send older kids back to school, days are getting shorter and nightfall brings a little chill. Take advantage of the last few weeks of summer with some of the great outdoor kids’ activities Buffalo has to offer!
Parks and Playgrounds
There are plenty of green spaces throughout the Buffalo Niagara region. Head to a bigger park to hike a few miles, or simply visit a new playground for a fun, easy adventure.
- Akron Falls Park – Akron, NY
- Amherst State Park – Amherst, NY
- Artpark State Park – Lewiston, NY
- Bond Lake Park – Lewiston, NY
- Buffalo Harbor State Park – Buffalo, NY
- Chestnut Ridge Park – Orchard Park, NY
- Fort Niagara State Park – Youngstown, NY
- Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve – Depew, NY
This list of parks and playgrounds has lots of options, from Batavia to Boston.
Fun for the Whole Family
The whole family will be excited to check out these fun things to do with the kids across Western New York.
Buffalo Bisons at Coca-Cola Field – Buffalo, NY
Take the whole family out to the ball game! Afternoon games, paired with ice cream from the concession stand, is a great treat and the perfect end to summer. Dino Day, LEGO Builders Weekend and Kids Run the Bases games make baseball even more fun.
Canalside – Buffalo, NY
The littlest members of your family will love the sandy, land-locked beach, The Children’s Tug Boat and Dinosaur Play Area. Everyone can take in The Buffalo & Erie County Naval & Military Park, lawn games and bike rentals.
Larkin Square – Buffalo, NY
Food Truck Tuesdays can be a little bit busy for small children, but Larkin Square is open during the day as well. Volley on the pickleball courts or hit Larkin Links (a community-designed “nano golf course”) any time.
Maid of the Mist – Niagara Falls, NY
See Niagara Falls a whole new way – from the water! Kids (older siblings included) will stare in awe as the river drops towards you. Plus, the spray from the Falls feels great on hot summer days.
Make a Day of It
These kids’ activities in and around Buffalo are worth spending more than just an hour or two. Some have space to enjoy a picnic lunch, while others offer onsite or nearby family-friendly restaurants.
- Buffalo Niagara Heritage Village: History comes to life in Amherst.
- Kelkenberg Farm of Clarence: Get to know the farm animals at Kelkenberg Farm in Clarence.
- Lockport Caves: Head to Lockport and get to know the people behind the Erie Canal.
- Penn Dixie Fossil Park & Nature Reserve: Get your hands dirty digging for fossils in Blasdell.